Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Help 4 Harleigh Bake Sale Thank You



I'm writing this thank you on Saturday, before the bake sale even begins, because I want to be clear about why I'm thanking you.

Thank you for making this bake sale a success. Thank you to the bidders, thank you to the bakers, thank you to the donators, thank you to the bloggers. Thank you for the words of comfort and the prayers. You're all so amazing, you've done so much for Harleigh and I'm welling up just thinking about it all. Thank you.

And let me be clear. The bake sale IS a success. Family and friends have pulled together to support Harleigh. Neighbors have generously offered to help. Coworkers have helped spread the news. Bloggers I barely know have written generous posts. Church members have offered prayers. And everywhere I look, there is a flood of encouragement and support for one little Harleigh.

That's a success that has nothing to do with money, cash or bids. And that's why I'm writing this now. We may raise a lot of money or we may only raise a little - but that doesn't diminish or add to the success. This bake sale is a success for what it has already done for Harleigh and her family. And we all owe you an enormous debt of gratitude.


This bake sale is also a success in another, much more personal way. I'm not a guy who likes to take risks. In fact, I'm quite risk-adverse. So much so that I'm dreadful at the board game Risk - I won't attack an opponent unless I KNOW I can win. That goes for my life, too - I don't like to attempt things unless I know it will be a success.

A year ago, I'm ashamed to say, I would never have attempted a bake sale, even to help Harleigh. Because what if nobody shows up? What if it's just me, ringing a bell? How embarrassing and humiliating. What a joke my blog would be then. So insignificant, he couldn't even throw a bake sale for his niece!

I'm still a tiny, insignificant blogger. And my blog may still become a joke. And it may be embarrassing not to reach the bake sale fundraising goal. But now, none of that matters. Because a very forgiving, very patient, very generous God loves me. So now things like failure, embarrassment and humiliation - they just don't matter. How big my blog is doesn't matter. I risk nothing because all that I need - all that matters - I already have. All that's left is to share it…


So no matter what happens, no matter how much or little money is raised, this bake sale has given Harleigh, myself and my entire family even more to be grateful for. And to share.

That's one gosh-darn successful bake sale, folks! Thank you.



5 comments:

  1. Failure or
    success doesn't really matter. The most important thing is the power of human
    beings coming together to help this beautiful little girl. You are a very good uncle to Harleigh and I’m
    sure with God’s grace and mercy, she will grow up and will always be thankful
    for what you did for her. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words, rg. I'm just grateful to have been able to be part of it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your kinds words, John :) And Yoda always was one of my favorite SW characters...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your bake sale brought people together in love with one goal, to help ease your family's and Harleigh's suffering. Mission accomplished. <3

    ReplyDelete